Power Performance Measurements
Power performance measurements on wind turbines involve measuring the wind speed, the power output and comparing that to the warranted power curve. It can also include measuring temperature and air pressure in order to make corrections for air density.
Measurement of wind turbine power performance with a met mast
For measurements in complex terrain, the met mast is equipped with calibrated anemometers and wind vanes. This is in accordance with the recognized standard IEC 61400-12-1.
Measurement of power performance with LiDAR
Measurement of power performance by LiDAR is not permitted for all sites. But especially in flat terrain it can offer a commercially attractive alternative to measuring with met masts.
Components of wind measurement for Power Performance Measurements
- Data loggers to record and calculate wind data
- Anemometers to measure the wind speed
- Wind vanes to determine the wind direction
- Temperature humidity sensor and air pressure sensor to measure the air density
- Remote sensing systems - LiDAR devices
- Communication systems to transfer measurement data
- Power supply systems
Standards and Guidelines
- IEC 61400-12-1
- TR6 (Rev.9)